The classic egg breakfast! Our guide to making the perfect runny boiled eggs and dipping soldiers.
There are surprisingly quite a large number of ways to boil an egg but this is how we do it with top results every time.
How to make brilliant boiled egg and soldiers:
- Start by using a needle or pin to make a hole in the top of the egg. WHY? It’ll remove the air pocket inside, allowing you to get a perfect boiled egg. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t do this, but it’s a cool thing to try.
- Now add the eggs to cold water in a saucepan, with the water covering the eggs by a few centimetres.
- Bring to the boil and then TURN OFF THE HEAT! Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a lid and allow to cook for 3 minutes (for very runny eggs) to 8+ minutes for very hard boiled eggs (but who wants that for soldiers?!). Be careful not to overcook.
- Drain the eggs and wash with cold water to stop the cooking process ASAP.
- So with our awesome eggs are done, it’s now just a matter of toasting some bread and we’re sure everyone can manage that. You could keep the bread plain, add butter or even something like marmite.
- Now just slice off the top of the egg and get dipping.