Think healthy meals are boring? This beautiful summer dish will change your mind!
While we prepared this in the kitchen, it can be cooked on the BBQ too.
- 1 chicken breast per person ‘butterflied’ or sliced into thin diagonal strips
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sweet potato per person
How to make lime, garlic and chilli chicken with baked sweet potato:
- Make a marinade with the juice of 1 lime, the zest of half the lime, 1 finely chopped chilli and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
- Add the chicken to the marinade and stir well. Leave to marinade – overnight is ideal, but 30 minutes will still impart a delicious flavour.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Pop the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and allow to bake for around 30 minutes.
- Cooking time will depend on the size, so pierce with a sharp knife to check the potato is soft before removing from the oven.
- Once your potatoes have been baking for around 15 minutes, cook the chicken. The aim is to have fairly thin chicken portions (around 5mm), so they should cook quickly.
- Add a little oil to a frying/griddle pan and set the heat to medium. You want to ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and doesn’t burn on the outside. Add the chicken and allow to cook on one side for a few minutes. Turn, and continue to monitor the chicken until it starts to turn golden.
- Always check that the juices run clear when you pierce the chicken, this will tell you that it is cooked through.
- Serve with a fresh salad.