Make eggs a lot more interesting with this fool proof Shakshuka recipe.
This recipe makes for a delicious healthy breakfast or brunch and takes little more than 15 minutes.
Season well with ground cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
The ingredients below will make for the two servings.
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of chopped/minced garlic or a teaspoon of easy/lazy garlic Or garlic powder
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (Optional) Or red pepper flakes or chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
How to make simple Shakshuka:
- Heat a small frying pan with the oil on a medium-low heat.
- Chop off the top and bottom of onion and cut in half, then dice. Add to oil and fry for 2 minutes until softened
- Add in the crushed garlic together with 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste). You can swap the cayenne pepper for red pepper flakes or chilli powder or leave out altogether. If you don’t have garlic to hand, you can additionally season with a pinch of garlic powder.
- Cook out the spices for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook down for 5 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make two wells in the frying pan and crack an egg in each well.
- Place under the grill until the eggs are cooked through.
- Finish with a sprinkling of black pepper. You could also add some crumbled feta or grated cheese if you wish.
- Serve either on its own or with tortilla wraps or crusty bread.