Take fried eggs to the next level with this, the ultimate egg in a hole recipe.
Mix eggs with toast, bacon and cheese for a delicious breakfast or brunch.
This recipe will take around 15-20 minutes and the numbers below will make for the single serving.
- 1 slice of bread
- 2 slices of streaky bacon
- 1 egg
- Handful of grated cheese
- Butter (Optional)
- Chives (Optional, to serve)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make the ultimate egg in the hole:
- Place the bacon on a baking sheet and cook at 200 degrees until beginning to crisp up – around 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut out the centre of the bread. You could either use a biscuit cutter or push the top of a glass into the bread and turn.
- Optionally butter the now holed-bread.
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet or grease with a little oil/cooking spray.
- Place the slices of bread on the baking tray.
- Lay the bacon across the centre of the bread and carefully crack an egg into the center.
- Sprinkle over some grated cheese and season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Ever so carefully place in the oven. Bake for around 10 minutes or until egg is cooked to your liking.
- Optionally finish with a sprinkling of chives.