Jaffa cake cupcakes make for an easy DIY jaffa cake recipe that’s trivial to make yourself.
This recipe works out surprisingly cheap with the ingredients coming in at around £1.50 making for 12 yummy Jaffa cake style sponge cupcakes.
- 115g Self raising flour
- 115g Butter
- 115g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 orange jelly packet (135g)
- 2 tablespoons Marmalade Optional
- 300g Chocolate
How to make jaffa cake cupcakes:
- Break up the pack of jelly into a measuring jug.
- Add in the two tablespoons of marmalade.
- Pour in 300ml boiling water.
- Mix well with a fork until the jelly has fully dissolved
- Line a baking tray with cling film or foil and pour in the mixture to create a thin layer of jelly and allow to set in the fridge. You could also use a plate or similar, you basically want to get a nice thin sheet of jelly.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar, eggs and butter in a big bowl.
- Mix together with a wooden spoon until there are no lumps and a smooth batter has formed.
- Spoon around 1-2 tablespoons for the mixture into cupcake cases.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes until firm and golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Once cakes have cooled and jelly is set, use a cookie cutter, glass or anything else that works to cut out circles of jelly to top the cupcakes. You want the circles to be slightly smaller than the cupcakes.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts (or over simmering water on the hob). Allow to cool slightly before covering the tops of the cupcakes with a tablespoon of the chocolate.
- Place the cupcakes in the fridge until the chocolate has set.