A simple plain sponge cake recipe! What you choose to do with this blank canvas is up to you…
This recipe is quite literally as simple as it gets with just the six key ingredients to make a straight forward vanilla sponge cake.
It’s then yours to ice and decorate as you please. Alternatively, double up the ingredients and make two cakes which can then be sandwiched together with a variety of fillings such as jam & cream.
This plain sponge cake recipe will divide into around 6-8 servings.
- 100g Self raising flour Or plain flour mixed with 1 + 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 100g Butter Softened to room temperature
- 100g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of milk
How to make a Plain Sponge Cake:
- Heat the oven to about 190 degrees (170 fan).
- In a bowl, beat the sugar and softened butter until creamy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour a bit at a time. If you’ve no self-raising flour, combine 1 + 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder with every 100g of plain flour.
- Finally add in the milk.
- Line a baking tin (around 18-20 cm) with baking paper or grease with butter.
- Pour in the cake batter and cook for 20-30 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before decorating and serving.
This plain sponge cake will keep well in an airtight container for at least three days.