These plain sponge cupcakes are as basic baking as you can get.
This recipe will make 12 ready for you to do with as you wish.
And you need just a handful of basic ingredients to make these easy and simple fairy cake bases.
Once cooked and cooled, they’re yours to decorate and enjoy!
- 115g Self raising flour Or plain flour mixed with 1 + 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 115g Sugar
- 115g Butter Softened to room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of milk
How to make plain sponge cupcakes:
- Pre-heat the oven to about 190 degrees (170 fan).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and softened butter until creamy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and then stir in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour a bit at a time. If you’ve no self-raising flour, you can combine 1 + 1/2 tsp of baking powder with plain flour.
- Finally stir in the milk
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- Split the batter equally between the cases – don’t overfill, remember they’ll rise.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean
- Allow to cool before decorating and serving.
These plain sponge cupcakes will keep well in an airtight container for at least three days.