This classic cake used to be a regular at school dinners in UK schools – here’s how to make your own.
Combining delicious sponge with icing and lots of sprinkles, this school dinner cake tray bake recipe requires fewer than 10 ingredients.
The instructions below are super simple and will make for around 20 slices.
- 350g butter
- 350g sugar
- 350g self raising flour
- 6 eggs
- 100ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 500g icing sugar
- Custard (optional, to serve)
How to make School Dinner Cake Tray Bake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees / 160 degrees fan
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the flour a bit at a time to create a smooth cake batter.
- Finish by stirring in the milk and vanilla.
- Transfer to a lined baking tray and cook for around 25-30 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, combine the icing sugar with warm water a tablespoon at a time (you can also use milk) until you have your desired thickness.
- Spread the icing over the cake and top with sprinkles.
- Allow icing to set before cutting and serving.
- For the ultimate old school experience, serve with custard.