Here’s how to make a basic but moist vanilla sponge cake without any eggs.
This eggless sponge cake uses oil and yoghurt as a substitute and takes around 30-40 minutes to fully create.
It’s then yours to eat as it is, decorate with icing or use as part of a bigger recipe, such as a classic Victoria sandwich.
- Flour 175 g
- Plain yoghurt 250 g
- Sugar 200 g
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Cooking oil 200 g
How to make eggless sponge cake:
- Begin by whisking the yoghurt and adding in the sugar, whisking until fully combined.
- Add the baking powder and sofa and whisk again.,
- leave the mixture to rise for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Add in the vanilla extract and cooking oil (vegetable or sunflower) into the yoghurt mix and stir everything together.
- Next, stir in the flour in a bit at a time.
- Mix everything together until you’ve got a thick, smooth batter.
- Pour the cake without egg mix into a greased baking dish and cook for 30-40 minutes until golden.
- Use a skewer or similar to check when it’s done by inserting it into the centre, if it comes out clean it’s time to remove the cake!
- Allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes before serving or decorating.