This recipe takes jaffa cakes to the extreme with a giant, tray bake jaffa cake.
The ingredients below will make anywhere from 8-16 servings, depending on how you cut it all up.
You can of course reduce the amounts for a smaller serving!
- Eggs 4
- Self raising flour 200 g
- Softened butter 200 g
- Caster sugar 200 g
- Orange jelly packets (135g) 2
- Chocolate 500 g
How to make a jaffa cake tray bake
- Start by making up the jelly with two packets (break up the pieces) to 1/2 pint of boiling water in a jug, not per pack instructions.
- Place the jug in the fridge to set.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs briefly with a fork or whisk in a bowl.
- Add in the sugar, flour, butter and baking powder.
- Mix together into a runny, lump-free batter.
- Add to a greased/butter baking tray and cook at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden. A skewer through the middle should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to fully cool.
- Keep checking on the jelly until it’s half set, about the consistency of porridge. This may take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Pour the half-set jelly over the cake base and spread out with a knife into a thin layer. Return to the whole tray to the fridge to allow the jelly to fully set.
- Once the jelly is fully set, melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave and pour over. Spread a think layer over the whole cake.
- Return to the fridge one final time until chocolate has hardened.
- Cut up and serve!