This budget busting fish pie recipe is super easy and cheap to make.
You can find fish pie mix fresh or frozen in most supermarkets or ask at the fishmongers.
Alternatively you could make your own, usually fish pie is made of smoked cod, cod and pink salmon although there’s nothing to stop you using other types of fish where available.
- Fish pie mix 300 g
- Soft cheese 200 g
- Potatoes Or instant/frozen mash
- Knob of butter and splash of milk Not essential, only if making your own mash for best results
How to make a budget busting fish pie:
- If making your own mash, peel some potatoes and chop up into chunks. Boil in water in a saucepan over the hob for 20 minutes until soft.
- While the potatoes cook, in another saucepan or frying pan over a low-medium heat, add in the soft cheese and allow to begin to melt.
- Add in the fish and mix, cooking for about 5 minutes. If using frozen fish allow slightly longer.
- Add in the peas and handfuls of spinach, you could add in other veg such as sweetcorn. You can use frozen, tinned (drained) or fresh. Mix everything together.
- Cook the mix for a further 5-10 minutes until veg has softened. If using frozen veg you may need to cook for longer.
- Once fish mix is done, pour into a baking dish.
- When the potatoes have softened (a knife should slide through), drain and return to the saucepan with a knob of butter and a splash of milk (for best results) and mash. Alternatively, make up the instant mash if using that.
- Top the fish mix in the baking dish with the mash.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the top has browned.