This Cajun salmon and spicy sweet potato mash recipe is a easy and healthy meal.
You can make up a simple Cajun seasoning mix using the recipe below or cheat with a ready made packet mix.
The numbers below will make for the single serving and take around 30 minutes.
- 1 salmon fillet
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning From a packet or see recipe below
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Handful of broccoli Can swap for brussels Sprouts, green beans or Asparagus
- Pinch of cumin (optional)
How to make Cajun Salmon with Sweet Potato Mash:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees/fan 180 degrees.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into cubes.
- Add to a pan of boiling water and cook until soft on the inside – about 15 minutes.
- Brush or rub the salmon with another splash of oil an rub with the Cajun seasoning. If not using a ready made mix, you can season with (adjust to taste and what you have) 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp thyme. Optionally add some red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
- Season the broccoli with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake the salmon and broccoli for 12-15 minutes or until tender. You may need to leave the broccoli in for a little longer than the salmon.
- Drain the potatoes and mash up with the butter. Season well to taste with salt, pepper and perhaps a pinch of cumin powder – or other seasoning as you like.
- Serve everything together.