Mix fish and potatoes for this super easy one-pan student recipe.
The simple recipe uses a handful of cheap ingredients and will serve four people.
Taking 30 minutes, serve either alone or with some vegetables such as carrots and broccoli.
- 4-6 potatoes Depending on size
- 1 onion
- 3 tins mackerel
- Tinned sweetcorn or peas (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon of butter Or cream or milk
- Salt and pepper
How to make Mackerel And Potato Mash:
- Peel and dice up the potatoes and onion.
- Add to a pan and cover with enough water so the potatoes and onions are covered by a few centimetres.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are softened (a knife easily goes through them).
- Drain and return the potatoes and onions to the pan over a very low heat.
- Add a tablespoon of butter (can also use cream or milk) and mash up the potatoes with the onions.
- Stir in the sweetcorn and peas (if using)
- Flake in the fish and heat through.
- Season well with a good pinch or two of salt and pepper. You could also add a pinch of cumin or cayenne pepper.
- Serve either on its own or with some additional vegetables like carrots and broccoli (boiled, fried or roasted).