Get your fish intake the easy way with this adaptable recipe. Any type of fish can be used for these whether it’s fresh fish, tinned tuna or frozen prawns.
- Fish of your choice e.g. 2 tins of tuna or 1 bag of defrosted prawns
- Potatoes 2
- Red chilli (seeds included or not depending on your spice tolerance) 1
- Any type of bread (can be slightly stale) for breadcrumbs 2 slices
- Lemon 1
- Finely chopped coriander (fresh is best but dried is fine too) 2 tbsps
- Knob of butter
- Salt & pepper
How to make Thai Fish Cakes:
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 200C. Chop the potatoes into small cubes and boil until fully cooked through (around 10 minutes, test softness with a fork) then mash with butter.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the breadcrumbs by blending (or grating) 2 slices of bread. Add salt and pepper and half of the grated lemon zest. The zest from the other lemon half can be frozen or used for baking.
- Prepare fresh fish by steaming or cooking in the microwave for around 4 minutes, then flake with a fork and add to the mashed potato. For tinned fish or prawns, just add and mix.
- Add finely chopped chilli, coriander, lemon juice and salt and pepper to the fish cake mixture and stir well. Form the fish cakes into small patties by hand.
- Press the fish cakes into the breadcrumbs until evenly coated on all sides and place on a baking tray to go into the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.