Use tuna in a chilli con carne dish for a cheap and super quick student meal.
With Carne being the Spanish word for meat, technically this dish is should really be called Chilli Con Tuna and here’s the recipe that’ll make enough for 2 people.
You could also add some red peppers in if you’ve got them available.
- Onion 1 small onion
- Olive oil
- Tins of tuna 2
- Tin of diced tomatoes
- Tin of red kidney beans Drained and washed
- Chilli powder or flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of lemon juice Optional
How to make tuna chilli con carne with tuna:
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat
- Meanwhile, peel and dice up the onion
- Cook the onion for about 5-10 minutes until translucent
- Drain and add in the tuna, the tinned tomatoes, drained and washed kidney beans and stir
- Add in chilli powder to taste. 1-2 teaspoons will be a nice mix.
- Stir well, turn up the heat slightly to allow to simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Season with salt and pepper, add a splash of lemon juice if available, and serve.
- You can eat this ‘Chilli Con Tuna’ recipe either on its own or with rice or a jacket potato.