This Turkey Bolognese recipe makes for a simple, healthy meal.
Swap the usual beef for low-fat turkey mince for a lighter but still super tasty home-cooked dinner.
The numbers below will make for a good 4-6 servings. Enjoy with your favourite pasta or perhaps a baked sweet potato.
- Around 500g turkey mince
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic or a 2 teaspoons of easy/lazy garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper and dried herbs
- Pasta, rice or potatoes (to serve)
How to make Healthy Turkey Bolognese:
- In a large frying pan add the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery and fry for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the turkey and cook until coloured all over.
- Add in the tomato purée and stir through for a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Mix well and season to taste with salt, pepper and dried herbs (e.g basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme). You can also add in a splash of Worcester sauce, a pinch of sugar, a teaspoon of Marmite and/or a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes until thickened.
- Optionally serve with your choice of pasta, rice or potatoes – goes great with baked sweet potato!