This creamy cheese, chicken and vegetable bake is a simple homemade meal.
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s easy to adapt to what ingredients you have to hand: Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, courgette, mushrooms, onions… the list goes on!
For the cheese sauce, you can make this yourself using the recipe and just three ingredients…. or cheat and use a packet mix.
The below numbers will make for 4-6 servings.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Various vegetables, chopped E.g. Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 450ml milk
- Handfuls of grated cheese
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (Optional)
How to make Creamy Cheesy Chicken, And Vegetable Bake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees/180 degrees (fan).
- Peel, if necessary, and chop up the vegetables you’re using into small bite size pieces.
- If you’re using root vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, swede or parsnips, boil the pieces in a pan of water for 5 minutes. Everything else can go straight in the oven.
- Cut up the chicken into bitesize pieces.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to a baking dish and drizzle with oil. Season well with salt and pepper, dried herbs and garlic powder. Give everything a good mix to ensure it’s coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make up the cheese sauce: Melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk for a minute until a smooth paste forms.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Keep whisking until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. Season with salt, pepper and optionally a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Allow to simmer, stirring regularly for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in handfuls of grated cheese – as much as you wish! If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more milk. If it’s too runny, add a little more cheese.
- Pour over the chicken and vegetables. Optionally top with some breadcrumbs or more grated cheese.
- Return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until top has started to golden/brown.