A fool-proof student curry recipe: A Creamy spinach & coconut Vegetarian curry
This simple yet luxurious curry is made with vegetables to save money, however you can add chicken, prawns or white fish too.
When buying coconut milk try to buy cream sachets if you can – you get four in a box and it’s much cheaper than canned coconut milk.
- Thai green curry paste 2 tbsps
- Green chilli (optional, depending on your spice tolerance) 1
- Sweet potato 1
- Onion 1
- Pepper 1
- A large handful of fresh spinach
How to make Creamy spinach & coconut curry:
- Begin by slicing or dicing the vegetables (onion, pepper and sweet potato) into bite-sized pieces. Ensure the sweet potato chunks are quite small so they cook quickly.
- Fry the curry paste (including the optional chilli) in a little oil on a medium heat. Once the spice paste starts to smell fragrant, add the vegetables and gently stir until coated with the spices.
- While the vegetables are lightly frying in the spice paste, prepare the coconut cream.
- I find the most effective way to use coconut cream is to cut open the packet, place the solidified cream into a jug and pour over boiling water. To serve 2 people, around 500ml of watered down coconut cream is ideal.
- Add the coconut cream to the pan and bring to the boil. Once the sauce has started to thicken and the sweet potato chunks are tender, add the spinach and gently stir into the curry.
- Allow the spinach to wilt for 2 minutes and then dish up with lots of rice and nann.