This simple Chinese Chicken Tray Bake makes for an easy delicious dinner.
Combine sweet & sticky chicken with garlic & ginger potatoes and roasted broccoli for a tasty meal.
The numbers below will make for two servings and take around 45-55 minutes.
- 2 chicken legs Or 4 thighs or drumsticks
- Handful of baby potatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce More/less to taste
- 1 clove of chopped garlic More/less to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger or good pinch of ground ginger (optional)
- Handful of broccoli florets (optional, to serve)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce More/less to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon brown sugar; More/less to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice More/less to taste
- Pinch of black pepper More/less to taste
How to make our Chinese Chicken Tray Bake
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, honey (can substitute for brown sugar), Chinese five spice, and 1/2 tablespoon of the soy sauce. Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your taste.
- Add the chicken and coat in the marinade and set aside for now.
- Chop up the potatoes into bite-size pieces .
- Place the potatoes on a large baking tray and drizzle over the vegetable and sesame oil. Add the chopped garlic, ginger (if using), remaining 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce and a pinch of black pepper. Again, you can adjust the amounts to taste.
- Give the tray a good shake to coat the potatoes and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the tray and return to the oven. Reduce the temperature to 180 degrees. Bake for 20 more minutes.
- Finally add the broccoli to the tray. Season with a little salt.
- Bake for a final 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are soft all the way through, broccoli is tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked through.