These simple and delicious turkey enchiladas make for a quick and easy healthy midweek meal.
This is a tasty dinner using a handful of cheap and basic ingredients that will take around 30-45 minutes.
The numbers below will make for six servings. Optionally serve alongside a side salad with diced avocado and cool sour cream.
- 500g turkey mince More or lesss to taste
- 6 tortilla wraps
- 2 peppers, deseeded and diced Any colour
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 400ml passata Can swap for tin of chopped tomatoes
- Grated cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced More or lesss to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano More or lesss to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper More or lesss to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika More or lesss to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin More or lesss to taste
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder More or lesss to taste
How to make easy healthy turkey enchiladas
- Peel and dice up the red onion, mince or finely chop up the garlic cloves and de-seed and dice up the peppers.
- In a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and gently fry half of both the onion and garlic at the bottom of the pan over a medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes)
- Add in the passata together with the oregano, pepper and half the chilli powder (optional).
- Stir well and allow to gently simmer on a low heat for around 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, add the remaining oil, onion and garlic together with the peppers. Gently fry on a medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the turkey mince and break apart with a wooden spoon. Season with the paprika, cumin and chilli powder (adjust the amounts to taste).
- Cook for a further 5-10 minutes until turkey is just cooked through.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees or 180 degrees for fan ovens.
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a baking dish.
- Split the turkey mixture between the tortillas together with a sprinkling of grated cheese, wrap up and add to the baking dish.
- Pour over the remaining sauce and sprinkle with a little more cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- Optionally serve with a side salad, cool sour cream, diced avocado or guacamole.