Easy Ratatouille recipe: This is a really quick to prepare, and vegetarian.
It does need a long initial simmer, but is cheap, very little work to prepare and leaves you with a huge pot that will feed a group or last you days.
It can be served hot or at room temperature so if you have a batch in your fridge you have an instant meal waiting for you when you get home. Serve with garlic bread or couscous.
The vegetables are cheap if you get them from the market or a budget supermarket.
Prep time 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Red onions Roughly chopped 2
- Garlic cloves Crushed and chopped 3
- Aubergines Roughly chopped 2
- Courgettes Roughly chopped 3
- Yellow or red peppers Roughly chopped 2
- Tinned chopped tomatoes 3
- Herbes de provence (a cheap mix of herbs that will last for many batches to come!)
- Water 350 ml
- Olive oil
How to make Easy Ratatouille:
- Pour a generous amount of olive oil into a BIG pan, add the red onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 4 minutes, careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the aubergines, courgettes and peppers and cook for another 6 minutes so the vegetables get some colour.
- Add the tomatoes, water, herbs , salt and pepper and leave to simmer on a low heat for 1 hour.
- At the end add some more olive oil and if you have fresh herbs garnish with basil or parsley.
So simple and you have a big nourishing vegetable stew that can be eaten straight from the fridge for days.