An easy meal for the whole flat: Try this easy shepherd’s pie recipe for students!
- Minced lamb 400 g
- Potatoes 1 kg
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Onion Roughly chopped 1
- Cloves of garlic 2
- Carrots Diced 2
- Chicken stock 30 ml
- Ketchup 1 tbsp
- Oregano 1 tsp
How to make an easy shepherd’s pie:
- Fry the onions gently for 5 minutes in the oil, add in the carrots and garlic for another 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat then add in the mince, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and mixing it in until browned.
- Add the stock, tomato ketchup and seasoning and mix it altogether. Half-cover and cook for 30 minutes to get a thick sauce, adding more stock or water if it gets too dry.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes (in water, obvs) for 15-20 minutes until softened.
- Drain the water away before putting them back in the pan with the milk.
- Bring to the boil again and add the butter before mashing up.
- In a large ovenproof dish, spoon in the lamb mixture then add the potato on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes on 200 degrees/Gas Mark 6
Original recipe by Woman’s Weekly/REX