These healthy Turkey Mince Stuffed Courgettes make for an easy low-carb meal.
Making use of a handful of basic ingredients, it’s also cheap and simple to cook.
The numbers below will make for three servings.
- 3 courgettes
- Around 500g turkey mince
- 1 carton of passata (around 500g) Or 1 tin chopped/whole tomatoes
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional) Amount to taste
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce Could swap for ketchup if you prefer
- Salt, Pepper, Dried Oregano To taste
How to make low carb healthy turkey mince stuffed courgettes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees/180 degrees (fan)
- In a saucepan and large frying pan, add the oil over a medium heat.
- Add in the onions, garlic and chilli (if using) and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the peppers and continue for a further 5 minutes.
- Add in the turkey mince.
- Cook over a high heat until the turkey is lightly browned and any liquid has evaporated.
- Pour in the passata together with the BBQ or tomato sauce (ketchup). If using chopped/whole tinned tomatoes instead of passata, break them up with the back of a spoon or fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, plus a little dried oregano or any other spices/herbs you prefer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the ends off the courgettes and half length-ways. Spoon out the seeds.
- Place the courgettes skin-side down in a baking dish and fill with the chicken & tomato mixture.
- Optionally top with breadcrumbs and/or grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.