Here’s a quicker solution to a roast dinner with a half-roast dinner recipe for one.
- Vegetables of choice, for example carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts
- Butter or spread (optional)
- Milk (optional)
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Lamb escalopes or frying steak
- Gravy (optional)
How to make a Quick half-roast dinner:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly oil a baking tray
- Wash, peel and chop all the veg into similar size pieces. About 2cm cube pieces.
- Wash, peel and cut the white potatoes into quarters.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add all the veg, not the potatoes. Bring back to the boil and leave for 5 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables and spread them onto the baking tray. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring another pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes then strain.
- Put the potatoes back into the empty saucepan and add a splash of milk and butter (optional). Mash the potatoes then grate some cheddar cheese in and continue to mash. Test to see how strong the cheese taste is and add more if desired.
- Lightly oil a frying pan on a medium heat then add the lamb escalopes or steak and cook according to the instructions on the packet. Usually fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve the vegetables, mash and lamb/steak for a quicker alternative to a roast dinner.