This is a colourful, creamy take on the classic saag aloo (spinach and potato curry).
Packed full of vitamins, try using low fat yogurt/coconut milk to make this dish a healthy alternative to a take away.
- 1 medium sweet potato per person cut into roughly 2cmx2cm cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can of coconut milk or 200ml plain yogurt
- A large handful of spinach
How to make veggie spinach and potato curry:
- Begin by heating a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add your spices, chilli and garlic and gently fry on a low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until it begins to soften. Add the pepper and sweet potato and stir well.
- Pour over the coconut milk, or if you’re using yogurt, leave it out at this stage and add 300ml water instead.
- Cover the pan, bring to the boil and allow to cook on a high heat for around 10 minutes. If the curry looks like it’s drying out, just add a splash of hot water.
- Then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for around 20 minutes. A few minutes before serving add the spinach and the yogurt if you are using it. Stir well and turn off the heat once the spinach has just wilted.
- Serve with rice and naan bread.