This simple steak pie with puff pastry couldn’t be easier to make.
A hearty, home cooked meal that’s perfect for the cold winter months.
Serve it up alone or with mashed potatoes.
The ingredients and recipe below will make for between 4-6 servings.
- Approx 600g stewing steak/diced beef
- Ready rolled Puff Pastry
- 1 clove of crushed garlic or a teaspoon of easy/lazy garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- Handful of carrots, peeled and chopped
- Handful of celery, chopped Could also use mushrooms or leek
- 500ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée/paste
How to make a simple steak pie:
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and fry over a high heat in a little oil for 5 or so minutes until browned all over. You may have to do this in batches as you don’t want to crowd the pan. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots and fry for a few minutes until the onions begin to colour.
- Add back the steak and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of flour and stir through.
- Stir in the beef stock and the tomato purée.
- Bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees/200 degrees fan.
- Pour the pie mixture into a pie or baking dish and allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Lay the sheet of puff pastry over the top and press down firmly around the edges.
- Cut off any excess and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry has risen and is golden.
- Serve either alone or with mash.