These simple vegetarian cheese and bean enchiladas make for a delicious comforting meal.
You can easily modify this recipe to suit what vegetables you have to hand: Onions, peppers, mushrooms, courgettes, aubergines and carrots all work. Similarly, you can use all sorts of pulses including mixed beans, kidney beans, green lentils or chickpeas.
Season well with either a ready made spice mix or with the suggested spices in the ingredients list below.
You can also make this recipe vegan-friendly simply by omitting the cheese or swapping for a vegan alternative.
The recipe and ingredients below will take around 45 minutes and serve 4 people.
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 peppers, deseeded and chopped
- Grated cheese
- 2 courgettes, chopped
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins beans/lentils/chickpeas in water, drained E.g. mixed beans, kidney beans, green lentils
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder More or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to make Easy Vegetarian Cheese and Bean Enchiladas:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large pan over a medium heat, fry the chopped onions, peppers, courgettes in a little oil. You can swap for diced aubergine and/or carrots.
- Once the vegetables begin to soften (around 5 minutes) add in the chopped tomatoes and drained pulses. You can use mixed beans, kidney beans, green lentils, chickpeas or a mixture.
- Season well. You can either use a ready made enchilada or fajita spice mix or season (adjust to taste) with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon chilli powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Mix well and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Roughly split half of the mixture between the tortillas, wrap up and place in a baking dish.
- Pour the remaining half of the mixture over the top.
- Add on a layer of grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese has melted and browned.
- Serve with some mashed avocado, cool sour cream or creme fraiche.