A basic and fool proof cheese and potato bake that is trivial to make.
It’s also incredibly cheap and makes use of a handful of ingredients you’re likely to have at home.
And you can make it even quicker by using ready made microwave mash or instant mash for a super fast dinner.
The recipe below, which will serve 4-6, is for a basic Cheese and Potato pie but you can easily add things such as cooked ham and bacon.
- 8-10 Potatoes
- Handfuls of grated cheese Of your choice - a mix works best
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- A little milk
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
- Seasoning Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, etc to taste
How to make a cheese and potato pie:
- Peel and chop up the potato, although you can leave the skin on if you prefer.
- Peel and dice up the onion and add both the onion and potato to boiling water on the hob.
- Boil them for around 15-20 or so minutes until potatoes have softened.
- Drain then return to the pot and add in the milk and butter. You can use more or less of each depending on your desired taste and consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and and mix everything together and mash up.
- You could also add a pinch of cayenne pepper, chilli flakes or other seasoning to taste.
- Stir in handfuls of grated cheese – again, as much or as little as you like.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish.
- Top with sliced tomatoes and more grated cheese. You could also top with some breadcrumbs if you have them to hand.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese on top has fully melted.