These bean & sweet potato enchiladas make for an easy vegan/vegetarian recipe.
The recipe is fully vegan by default other than the grated cheese, which can trivially be omitted or swapped for a vegan option.
Meanwhile you can easily make changes or substitutes to the ingredients below depending on what you have to hand.
This simple dinner will take a little over half an hour and make for the four servings.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced Around 300-400g
- 2 peppers, deseeded and diced Any colour. Could swap for courgette
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cajun, fajita or taco seasoning Whatever you have or prefer. Or season to taste with chilli powder, garlic powder, cumin and paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carton of passata (around 500g) Or 1 tin of chopped/whole tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained Or other tin of beans, drained
- 1/2 to 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional) More or less to taste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 tortilla wraps
- (Vegan) Grated Cheese (Optional)
How to make sweet potato and bean vegan enchiladas:
- Peel and dice the potatoes, de-seed and dice the peppers and peel and dice the red onion.
- Add the vegetables to a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of the seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Bake at 220 degrees / 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, add a drizzle of oil to a saucepan or large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the chilli and garlic and fry for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the remaining seasoning and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the passata or tinned tomatoes. If using tinned tomatoes, break up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon or fork.
- Stir everything together well and allow to gently simmer for 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans for the final 3 minutes.
- Pour half the sauce over the vegetables and mix to coat.
- Divide the tomato, bean and vegetable mix between the four tortillas. Wrap up and place in a baking dish.
- Pour over the remaining tomato sauce and optionally top with a sprinkling of vegan cheese.
- Bake in the oven further 15 minutes at 220 degrees / 200 degrees.
- Optionally garnish with some fresh coriander and serve with a side salad.