This Turkey Bolognese And Sweet Potato Bake makes for a healthy delicious dinner.
Swap the usual beef for low-fat turkey mince for a lighter bolognese and combine it with roasted sweet potatoes for a filling meal.
The numbers below will make for a good 5-6 servings.
- Around 500g turkey mince
- Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning or dried herbs
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic or a 2 teaspoons of easy/lazy garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes
- Grated cheese
How to make Turkey Bolognese And Sweet Potato Bake:
- In a large frying pan add the oil over a high heat.
- Fry the turkey for a few minutes until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery and fry for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add back in the turkey. Add in the tomato purée and stir through for a minute.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Mix well and season to taste with salt, pepper and Italian or dried herbs (e.g basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme). You can also add in a splash of Worcester sauce, a pinch of sugar, a teaspoon of Marmite and/or a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes until thickened.
- In the mean time, dice up the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Add to a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Season with black pepper.
- Bake for 25 or so minutes until softened in the center.
- Top the baked sweet potatoes with the bolognese and a handful of grated cheese.
- Return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted.