Toad in the hole is a easy homemade classic and this recipe makes for the ultimate dish.
As well as being a great dinner any day of the week, it makes for a cheap and quick alternative to the Sunday roast.
The recipe below includes the ingredients and method to make your own batter, but for an easier eat you can buy a packet of ready made mix from most supermarkets.
For a quick vegetarian alternative, swap out the sausages for veggie ones.
- 75g Plain flour (for own batter)
- 2 Eggs (for own batter)
- 200ml Milk (for own batter)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Baby carrots
- Gravy granules Optional, to serve
How to make the Ultimate Toad In The Hole:
- Cook the sausages in the oven at 200 degrees / 180 degrees (fan) for about 15 minutes until just browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk and flour and whisk until you’ve got a smooth batter. Alternatively, make up the packet batter per its instructions.
- Once the sausages are cooked, set aside.
- In a baking dish, add the olive oil and put in the oven at 220 degrees / 200 degrees (fan) for 10 minutes until smoking hot.
- Remove the baking dish and add in the sausages, broccoli and carrots.
- Pour over the batter and return to the oven immediately.
- Cook for at least 20 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN during this time.
- Continue cooking for a further 10 or more minutes until the batter is as crispy as you like it.
- Make up the gravy (if using) per pack instructions to serve.