These healthy bean and vegetable stuffed courgettes make for a simple low-carb vegan meal.
Making use of a handful of basic ingredients, it’s also cheap and simple to cook.
The numbers below will make for the three servings.
- 3 courgettes
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained Can substitute for black beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans or chickpeas
- 1 carton of passata (around 500g) Or 1 tin chopped/whole tomatoes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pepper, deseeded and diced Any colour. Could swap for mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- Salt, Pepper, Dired Oregano
How to make low carb healthy vegan bean and vegetable stuffed courgettes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees/180 degrees (fan)
- In a saucepan and large frying pan, add the oil over a medium heat.
- Add in the onions, garlic and chilli (if using) and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the peppers and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes. You could also add/substitute for mushrooms.
- Pour in the passata. If using chopped/whole tinned tomatoes instead of passata, break them up with the back of a spoon or fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, plus a little dried oregano or other herbs/spices you prefer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the ends off the courgettes and half length-ways. Spoon out the seeds.
- Place the courgettes skin-side down in a baking dish and fill with the bean & vegetable mixture.
- Optionally top with breadcrumbs and/or grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.