These potato & baked bean burgers make for a tasty vegan and vegetarian alternative to meat.
This easy vegan recipe needs only a handful of basic ingredients and will take no more than 45 minutes.
The numbers below will make for 4-6 burgers, depending on size.
- 300g potato, grated About 2 medium potatoes. Could use sweet potato!
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 teaspoon mixed dired herbs or Italian seasoning Plus salt+pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes (optional) or chilli powder
- Olive oil
How to make vegan apple crumble:
- Peel and dice the onion and finely chop or mince the garlic.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes over a medium-low heat until softened.
- If using, add in the chilli flakes or powder and stir through for a minute. Set aside for now.
- Drain any excess tomato sauce from the tin of baked beans and add the beans to a large mixing bowl.
- With the back of a fork, lightly mash around half the beans.
- Add the onions and garlic to the bowl.
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Use a kitchen towel to absorb any excess moisture before adding to the bowl.
- Add in the breadcrumbs, dried herbs, salt and pepper and freshly chopped parsley (if using) to taste.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until a dough-like texture begins to form.
- With slightly wet hands, form the mix into burger patties. You should get around 4-6 depending on size.
- Allow the burgers to chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. If you don’t want to cook immediately, wrap in cling-film or store in an air-tight container and they’ll keep in the fridge for up to two days.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees / 180 degrees fan.
- Lightly brush both sides of the burgers with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes, turning half-way.