Chicken and Mushroom in a creamy sauce make the filling in this delicious puff pastry pie.
This simple and straight forward recipe needs only ten ingredients, none of which should be too expensive or hard to find at the shops.
Serve it up alone or with mashed potatoes.
The ingredients and recipe below should make a big enough Chicken and Mushroom pie for between 4-6 servings.
Swaps or additions you can make to this recipe include substituting chicken breast for thigh and sweetcorn/mushrooms for peas, celery leeks and/or carrots.
- Approx 700g chicken breast, diced Can also use chicken thigh
- 400ml chicken stock
- 100ml milk
- 100ml double cream Could also use Crème fraîche or a further 100ml milk
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Two handfuls of mushrooms, sliced Could swap or add sliced celery, leeks and/or carrots
- 1 tin of sweetcorn, drained Could swap or add peas. Tinned, Fresh or Frozen is fine.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of crushed garlic or a teaspoon of easy/lazy garlic
- Ready rolled Puff Pastry
- Beaten egg/Milk (Optional) To wash the pastry for best results
How to make a Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie:
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and fry on a high heat in a little oil for 5 or so minutes until golden all over. You may have to do this in batches as you don’t want to crowd the pan. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the garlic, onion and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and fry for a few minutes until the onions begin to colour – around 4-5 minutes. You could also add/swap the onions and mushrooms for sliced leeks, celery or carrots.
- Add in 3 tablespoons of flour and stir through.
- Stir in the chicken stock, milk, cream and sweetcorn. You could also add/swap peas.
- Add the chicken and bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees/200 degrees fan.
- Pour the pie mixture into a pie or baking dish and allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Place the sheet of puff pastry over the top and press firmly down around the edges.
- Cut off any excess and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry has risen and is dark golden.