This sausage and bean mashed potato pie recipe makes for a delicious comfort food dish.
Also known as a ‘cowboy pie’ this recipe makes for a cheap and easy meal that will feed 4-6 people.
Needing just basic ingredients, this simple recipe will take 45 minutes to an hour.
- 4-5 medium potatoes About 800g. Alternatively you can use frozen or ready made mash
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped More or less to taste
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 chopped chilli (optional) More or less to taste
- 2 tins baked beans Or other tins of beans
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Salt, pepper and other seasoning to taste
How to make easy Sausage, Bean & Mashed Potato ‘Cowboy Pie’:
- Start by making your mash. You can use frozen or instant mash – just make per pack instructions. Alternatively, peel and chop 4-5 medium potatoes (around 800-900g in total). Boil in water until soft all the way through (around 15-20 minutes). Mash together with a generous knob of butter and splash of milk or cream. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook the sausages under the grill.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and optionally chilli an cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the paprika and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir through the tomato purée for 30 seconds.
- Add in the tins of beans.
- Cut up the sausages into bite-size pieces and add them to the pan.
- Squeeze in the BBQ sauce, mix well and season to taste.
- Spoon the sausage & bean mixture into a large baking dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Optionally top with grated cheese.
- Cook under the grill until the top is crispy and cheese has melted.