This quick and easy sweet and sour chicken recipe couldn’t be any easier.
Serve this on its own or with some fluffy rice.
The ingredients below will make for the single serving so simply multiply by however many mouths you want to feed!
- Chicken, cut into strips/diced Could also use turkey, beef or pork
- Small tin of pineapple chunks With juice
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar Rice, white wine or malt will work
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
How to make simple sweet & sour chicken:
- Start by slicing up the carrots and cutting the peppers into thin chunks. Cut the chicken into pieces if not already.
- Separate the pineapple and juice.
- Make the sauce: In a bowl, mix together the pineapple juice, cornflour, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and sugar. For a sweeter sauce, add more sugar; for a more tangy taste, add more vinegar, for more salty, add more soy sauce.
- In a wok over a high heat, add in a teaspoon of oil.
- Season the chicken with a little salt and pepper to taste and stir fry for a few minutes until turning golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add in the vegetables and fry for 5 or so minutes until softening. Add a splash of water if they begin to stick to the pan.
- Add back the chicken together with the pineapple.
- Pour in the sauce and mix through.
- Cook at a simmer for a further 10 or so minutes until chicken is completely done and sauce has thickened and begins to stick to the chicken and vegetables.
- Enjoy on its own or with rice!