This cheesy mushroom pasta bake makes for a perfect vegetarian meal.
Combine garlic-fried mushrooms with a creamy, cheesy sauce for this delicious dinner.
This recipe will take around 45 minutes and feed 4-6 people.
- 300g pasta
- 4 big handfuls of mushrooms, sliced
- Grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 200ml milk
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic or a 2 teaspoons of easy/lazy garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
How to make an easy cheese and mushroom pasta bake:
- Preheat oven to 180c or Gas mark 4
- In a pan of boiling water cook the pasta for about 10 minutes until it is almost cooked but still a bit chewy.
- For the mushrooms, melt one tablespoon of butter in a pan. Add the sliced mushrooms together with the garlic and fry until mushrooms have darkened and softened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan melt the other tablespoon of butter on low heat then add the flour, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk and keep stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Off the heat, stir in handfuls of the grated cheese until it is all melted. Add as much cheese as you wish! Season with a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
- Combine the pasta, mushrooms and the sauce in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle a little more grated cheese over the top.
- Bake it for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese on top is bubbling and golden.