This vegan vegetable bolognese makes for a delicious and easy dinner.
Combine plenty of veg with protein-packed lentils (any of green lentils, lentilles vertes or Puy lentils) for a tasty, vegan home made meal.
Making use of cupboard staples, this recipe is not just simple to make but cheap too.
The recipe and ingredients below will make for four good servings and take an hour at most to complete.
- 300g dried pasta (to serve) Could also serve alone or with baked potato, crusty bread, etc.
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of crushed garlic or a teaspoon of easy/lazy garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- A handful of carrots, peeled and finely diced
- A handful of mushrooms, chopped
- Any other veg - Courgette, aubergine, celery
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 100g green lentils/lentilles vertes/Puy lentils
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs To taste
How to make a simple vegan bolognese:
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the garlic, onion, peppers, mushrooms, carrots and any other fresh veg you’re using and cook gently for 5-10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add in the the chopped tomatoes, purée and stir through.
- Add in the stock and the lentils and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and dried herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, etc). You can also add in a splash of vegan Worcester sauce, a teaspoon of Marmite (it’s vegan!) or a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Bring the mix to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, for around 35-45 minutes stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened to your desired consistency.
- If the sauce starts to stick to the bottom of the pan – add a splash of water!
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta per pack instructions to serve.
- You can also serve with a jacket potato, crusty bread or on its own.