This easy pasta bake makes for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
Making use of plenty of veg and tinned cupboard staples, this is a healthy recipe that’s both simple to make and cheap.
You can use this recipe to take advantage of whatever vegetables you have to hand. You can also make this meal vegan by simply swapping out the cheese for an alternative.
The recipe below will make for four good servings.
- 300g dried pasta
- 1 clove of crushed garlic or a teaspoon of easy/lazy garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- Various vegetables, chopped E.g. Peppers, mushrooms, courgette, aubergine, etc.
- Tin of mixed beans in water, drained Or any tin of beans (e.g. Red mixed beans, Cannellini beans, green beans, broad beans, etc.)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Grated cheese Or swwap for vegan alternative
- Salt, pepper, dried mixed herbs Or other seasoning to taste, e.g. chilli flakes
How to make Vegetable and Bean Pasta Bake:
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the garlic and diced onion for a few minutes until the onions start to colour.
- Add in the other vegetables you are using, chopped – peppers, mushrooms, courgette and aubergine all work great.
- Fry the vegetables, stirring regularly for 5-10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add in the tinned chopped tomatoes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and mixed herbs (around a teaspoon will do), plus anything else you want to add (e.g. chilli flakes). You can also add a splash of Worcestershire sauce but note many varieties are not vegetarian.
- Stir everything together well and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta per packet instructions in lightly salted boiling water and drain.
- Add in the drained beans to tomato and veg mixture and stir through for 4-5 minutes.
- Combine the cooked pasta and stir into the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with grated cheese. You can make this recipe vegan by either omitting the cheese or swapping for a vegan-friendly alternative.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.