This easy Cajun turkey (or chicken) salad makes for a healthy meal that is far from boring.
You can make up a simple Cajun seasoning mix using the recipe below or cheat with a ready made packet mix.
The numbers below will make for the single serving and take no longer than 30 minutes.
- 1 Turkey steak Or chicken breast
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning From a packet or see recipe below
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn, drained Or fresh from the cob
- 1/4 finely diced red onion
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 chopped tomatoes Or handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil + a little more for the turkey
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- Salt & pepper to taste
How to make Cajun Turkey Salad with Avocado and Sweetcorn:
- Brush the turkey steak with oil and rub with the Cajun seasoning. If not using a ready made mix, you can season with (adjust to taste) 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp thyme. Optionally add some red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
- Fry the turkey steaks on both sides for a few minutes until cooked through. If using chicken breast, fry until crispy on the outside and then bake in the oven for around 25 minutes at 180 degrees until fully cooked through. Exact cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of the chicken breast.
- Make up the salad by combining the chopped tomato, avocado, red onion and corn.
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon or time juice, coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cut up the turkey/chicken and add to the salad to serve.
- Want to keep it for later in the day? Place in an air-tight tub or wrap tightly with foil or cling film and store in the fridge.