Not exactly a cheap way to make a lunch bite but definitely a quick and tasty one!
- Ciabatta loaf Or other roll/crusty bread
- Cheese A hanful, grated
- Half an onion Sliced
- Brown sugar 1 tbsp
- Oil 1 tsp
- Heat the oil over a low heat in the frying pan and add the sliced onions. Cook gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, season the steak and cut two slices from the Ciabatta loaf, or slice the roll in half.
- Once onions are golden, add in the sugar, and a splash of vinegar if you wish, and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until brown and fully cooked.
- Remove and then fry the steak in the same pan over a medium-high heat to your taste.
- Place the two slices of bread down in the pan for a few minutes next to the steak. You may have to do this after the steak has cooked if you’ve only got a small frying pan)
- Make the sandwich by layering one slice of bread, followed by the onions, then the steak, then the grated cheese and finally the other slice of bread.