This easy vegan sweet potato and chickpea stew makes for a perfect warming dinner on cold winter nights.
A simple recipe which won’t take much longer than half an hour, the ingredients below will make for two servings.
You can swap the chickpeas in this recipe for lentils or beans (kidney beans, butter beans, etc). Similarly, you can swap sweet potato for other potato if you prefer.
- 1 large sweet potato Can swap for other potatoes
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced (optional) Can leave out if you prefer
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon butter Could swap for oil
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained Can swap for lentils, kidney beans, butter beans, etc.
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Other seasoning to taste Salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, etc.
How to make Sweet Potato And Chickpea Stew
- Prepare by peeling and dicing the onions and carrots and slice up the celery, if using. Peel and chop the sweet potato into rough chunks. Chop up the garlic.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Fry for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the tomato purée and stir through for another minute.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, stock, drained tin of chickpeas and sweet potato. You could swap the chickpeas for lentils, kidney beans, butter beans, etc.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce, paprika and/or other seasoning as you prefer.
- Give everything a good mix together.
- Allow to gently simmer for at least 25 minutes until vegetables are tender and the stew has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Optionally stir in some fresh parsley to finish.
- Serve on its own or with some crusty bread.