These bean vegetable toasted tortilla pockets make a delicious easy vegan dinner.
You can quickly adjust this recipe depending on what you have in your fridge – peppers, onions, mushrooms and courgette all work. You can also substitute the kidney beans for black beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans or even chickpeas.
This will take a little over half an hour to prep and cook and make for the four servings.
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 2 peppers (any colour), deseeded and chopped Can also add/swap for courgette or mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained Can substitute for black beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans or chickpeas
- 400ml vegetable stock From a cube is fine
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 packet fajita seasoning Could swap for taco or cajun seasoning
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, de-stoned and diced
- (Vegan) Grated Cheese (Optional)
How to make Bean & Vegetable Vegan Toasted Tortilla Pockets:
- De-seed and slice the peppers and peel and slice the onion.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onion and fry for 5 minutes. Optionally add other vegetables such as courgette or mushrooms.
- Add half the seasoning and stir through for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and stir until coating the vegetables.
- Add the stock and the remaining half the seasoning and stir everything together.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Split the mixture into the centres of the four tortilla wraps.
- Add on toppings such as chopped tomatoes, avocado and (vegan) cheese to taste.
- Wrap up the tortillas around the filling.
- In a frying pan, heat a little oil over a medium heat and fry on each side for 1-2 minutes until golden and browned.
- Alternatively grill on either side or place in a toastie maker.