A vegan ‘tuna’ melt makes for a delicious and easy meal.
Combine a vegan ‘tuna’ mix with vegan cheese for a tasty toastie.
The ingredients below will make enough for two sandwiches. You can make the filling in advance and store covered in the fridge until cooking. It’ll keep for three days.
- 1 tin (400g) chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and finely diced Could swap for spring onion, celery or sweetcorn
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegan cheese Grated
- Vegan spread/butter
How to make a vegan tuna melt:
- Drain and rinse the tin of chickpeas.
- Using a potato masher, fork or food blender, smash up the chickpeas.
- Add in chopped red onion. You can also use (or add) chopped spring onion or celery, or sweetcorn.
- Add in vegan mayo and combine everything together with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. You could also add a pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper, some lemon juice and/or vinegar.
- Keep the vegan ‘tuna’ mix in the fridge, covered, until ready to make the toastie. It’ll keep for three days.
- When ready to make the melt, spread slices of bread with vegan butter and layer on the vegan ‘tuna’ mix and top with handfuls of grated vegan cheese.
- Melt a little more vegan butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry on both sides until crispy and golden.
- Alternatively, cook in a toastie maker or with a George Foreman Grill.
- Slice and serve