A vegan ‘tuna’ recipe mix that requires just the five ingredients and tastes delicious.
This vegan replacement for tinned tuna can be used in salads and sandwiches or combined with (vegan) cheese for a classic tuna melt.
The basic recipe below can be supplemented by additional ingredients such as spring onion, celery or sweetcorn.
You can also add further seasoning and flavour with mustard, cayenne pepper, lemon juice or vinegar to taste.
- 1 tin (400g) chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo Could swap for tahini
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and finely diced Could swap for spring onion, celery or sweetcorn
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional seasoning (see below)
How to make vegan tuna:
- Drain and rinse the tin of chickpeas.
- Using a masher, fork or food processor, mash up the chickpeas.
- Add in chopped red onion. You can also use or add chopped spring onion or celery, or sweetcorn.
- Add in vegan mayo and combine everything together. If you can’t get vegan mayo, tahini sauce can work as an alternative.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Additional seasoning could include a teaspoon of mustard, a pinch of cayenne pepper, around 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and/or a splash of vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Serve either immediately as you desire or keep covered and refrigerated for up to three days.