Use veggie steaks for this Healthy Vegetarian Steak and Chips dish.
This meal is cheap and cheerful – as long as you shop efficiently. We recommend basic supermarket products, or reduced items for maximum savings.
If you cook & season your food right you can’t go wrong, and this recipe is pretty hard to mess up.
- Quorn Peppered Steak Or other veggie steak alternative
- Onion Optional
How to make Healthy Vegetarian Steak and Chips:
- Peel and slice your potatoes and chop them into slices – you make them as chunky or as thin as you want. Slice as many as you’d like (enough for a small portion on chips roughly)
- Do the same with the carrots, then in a saucepan bring water to the boil and put your sliced carrots and potatoes in the pan.
- Heat the oven to a medium heat, whilst the carrots and potatoes are boiling – only boil until part cooked, about 8-10 minutes
- Drain them, place them on a baking tray and lightly salt. You can also add a sprinkle of oil, chilli powder and perhaps some garlic, mixed herbs or thyme but this is all option – although oil is highly recommended
- Place them in the oven, as well as your peppered Steak – keep checking the oven turning everything when required. Nothing should take more than 15/20 minutes to cook if you have boiled the veg enough. If you have boiled it for too long then it will go mushy and you will not be able to roast it to make the chips or roasted carrot. Don’t panic though, if it goes wrong you can just turn it into mash!
- Whilst everything is cooking in the oven, for an optional extra side you can grate some carrot and onion into a bowl, mix with a splash of oil, red vinegar or salad dressing. You can even just stick to oil, salt and pepper.
- Once all cooked place on a plate, this meal goes really well with sweet chilli sauce.