These homemade breaded bean and cheese burgers make for an easy vegetarian meal.
This recipe uses butter beans but will also work with chickpeas.
The numbers below will make for two burgers and take around 30 minutes.
- 1 tin (400g) butter beans, drained and rinsed Could swap for chickpeas
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Seasoning to taste E.g. Salt, Pepper, paprika, Parsley, Mixed Herbs, etc.
How to make Stuffing Sausage Rolls:
- In a little oil, gently fry the chopped onions, garlic and chilli (if using) over a medium heat until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the butter beans and add to a large mixing bowl. Mash with the back of a fork into a purée.
- Add the onions and garlic, grated cheese and seasoning to taste – e.g. salt, pepper, paprika and parsley.
- Mix well and form into two burger patties.
- In three individual bowls or plates, add one tablespoon of the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Carefully coat the burgers with the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in turn, gently shaking off any excess.
- Gently fry in a little oil over a medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden crispy.
- Enjoy as you would any other burger!