This creamy cheese and vegetable bake is a simple recipe that can work both as a main and a side.
The great thing about this meal is that it’s easy to adapt to whatever ingredients you have to hand: Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, courgette, mushrooms, onions… the list goes on!
As for the cheese sauce, you can make this yourself using the recipe below or use a packet mix.
The numbers below will make for 4 servings as a main or 8-10 as a side.
- Vegetables E.g. Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 450ml milk
- Handfuls of grated cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (Optional)
- Salt and pepper
How to make Creamy Cheese And Vegetable Bake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees/180 degrees (fan).
- Peel, if necessary, and chop up the vegetables you’re using into small bite size pieces.
- If using root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, swede or parsnips, etc). boil the pieces in a pan of water for 5 minutes. Everything else can go straight in the oven.
- Add to a baking dish and drizzle with oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make up the cheese sauce: Melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk for a minute until a smooth paste forms.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Keep whisking until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. Season with salt, pepper and optionally a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Allow to simmer, stirring regularly for 5-10 minutes until sauce is fully cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in handfuls of grated cheese until melted. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more milk. If it’s too runny, add a little more cheese.
- Pour over the vegetables. Optionally top with some breadcrumbs or more grated cheese.
- Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes or until top has started to golden/brown.